Monday 24 January 2011

...Or Anything Else That Is Pleasant To Drink (Out Of)

Does anyone have any weird… quirks? You know, like not being able to get out of bed unless the alarm shows a time of an even number? Or only eating one colour of M&Ms at a time?

I have a few quirks. I have to take a bite out of my food before I sit down to properly eat it. And my personnel files at work are colour co-ordinated with a colour I think suits the person.

But my biggest quirk of all (I think) is my feeling about glasses and mugs.

I cannot, absolutely cannot, drink wine from anything other than a wine glass. Look at me – my friend once made me try it a few years ago and the look on my face really shows the discomfort.


I also cannot drink from pint glasses. They are far too masculine for my liking and I shan’t be seen with one. Cosmopolitans must be served in a martini glass (or a champagne coupe if there is no other alternative) and I feel quite uncomfortable whenever I see water, juice, or any cold beverage being drunk from a mug. Eugh – get it away from me now! (I’m shuddering just thinking about it).

This must be why I have a bit of a ‘thing’ about the type of mugs I have in my kitchen. Plain white. Nothing fancy – but nothing too hideous. If anything, you should have plain white mugs in the kitchen. They’re a staple. A nice cheap staple that won’t necessarily have you flooding with compliments, but won’t give the impression that it came with last year’s Easter Egg.

If you can indulge, however – then do. I’m just starting to embark on my mug collection (and by ‘starting’ I mean that I have one). My mother gave me a beautiful mug for Christmas. Cream and etched with gold lettering; “Thursday’s child has far to go”. My sister loved pointing out that “Monday’s child is fair of face” means that she’s prettier than me, but I let that slide.


It’s so beautiful that it makes me look down on my other mugs. My boring old white mugs. I need mugs that look pretty! Ones that can be admired by the drinker and look happy in my tea cupboard. Mugs that make me want to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea on a Saturday morning as I bask in the early sunlight that enters my livingroom.

I think I know what I’ll be searching the internet for in the near future…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...