Friday 28 May 2010

Writing Letters


I'm not quite sure how I feel about Facebook. I like it, sure, but mostly because it's gossip and I like knowing what people are up to. But on the downside, people assume that I know what they're up to. I don't it to be assumed. I want to ask *so what are you up to these days?* and get an interesting response! But you can't do that these days. If they're not a friend - you 'obviously' hate them and they obviously hate you so you might as well not bother.

I only have 74 friends. Each and every person on my facebook list is someone I know and like. Not someone I sat next to in Maths, not a friend of a friend who I met once, and not people I worked with 4 years ago and haven't spoken to since. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to say hi if I bumped into them off the street.

Of course, I don't have 74 close friends. I have less than 10 close friends. And not one of them lives near me. The closest is maybe 200 miles away. The furthest, proabably 500-600 miles away. I love these people dearly but I cannot go and visit them often, and sometimes I'm just too busy to call or send a facebook messgae - but it doesn't mean I don't want to speak to them. So I want to communicate with them in a way that says *hey lady, I was thinking about you!* and the best way to do that is to write a letter.

Months ago I bought a stack of beautiful cards. I prefer cards to writing paper as they're more hardwaring and you get a pretty image on the front. I do like sending cards to friends that I have seen and immediately thought of them, but for when I just want to write one there and then, or don't have a few pounds to spare, I dip into my stash.

It makes such a good impression. And getting a card in the post shows thoughfulness, and time well spent - not a quick phone call when you've got a few minutes to spare.

And when you're low on free minutes - the price of a stamp is a much cheaper method of staying in touch.

1 comment:

  1. I love sending cards, too! Regular notebook paper feels lazy or something.
    I really want to learn how to make cute cards (you know, the scrapbooky ones!) That way I can use my own images and handwriting and smile because I made it, haha.
    cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...