Monday 15 November 2010

Ever Growing Collection of Spider Plants



For my birthday my friend and colleague, Courtney, gave me a Spider Plant. It sits happily on my desk, next to another little plant I have that doesn’t quite know whether or not it wants to live or die.

I was very happy with my gift. Very, very happy, in fact. I like a bit of greenery next to me in the office. But one day I noticed that something was sprouting out of the middle. It looked like a weed of sorts and when I mentioned it I was told “no, that’s for the babies!”

“What??”

What I didn’t really know, or understand, about spider plants was their ability to breed. I got this plant 2 months ago and already has it sprouted 4 babies.


Can you see them there? Hello babies!


The biggest one will need to be potted soon and the others will follow shortly after, but I’m amazed at just how purse-friendly these plants are!

Soon I will have 5 plants and 4 of them will have to be taken home where they will then, no doubt, breed like the other one. I will have plants coming out of my ears and I didn’t even buy the first one my self!

Great gifts that really do keep on giving, excellent decoration, and perfect for selling if you have too many to cope with.

But I think this is the best news – I water this plant about once a week. It needs a “treat ‘em mean, keep ‘em keen” approach and that is fine by me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I had a spider plant when I was a little girl, a "baby" taken from a friend's plant.

    I used to love some green on my desk as well! (back when I had a desk. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'll keep this in mind for the future.
    Growing Plants

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...