Tuesday 27 July 2010

The Joys of a Tesco Clubcard


When I was 18 and started driving, I got a Tesco Clubcard to collect points when I bought petrol. But the first time I got a letter through, all I saw were vouchers for 30p off toilet roll or something as equally uninteresting for a teenager living with parents.

For some reason, I started talking to my mum about Clubcard points when Matt and I moved in together a year ago. She told me that your points were converted into vouchers that you could spend on whatever you wanted. I was shocked. How did I not know this?? How much money had I thrown away in the last 5 years because I didn't read a stupid letter properly when I was 18??

So on my first Tesco shop in Brighton, I applied for a card. Since then we've received a lot of Clubcard points. Some to help us at Christmas, some to give us super cheap tickets to Thorpe Park for Matt's birthday, and now some that bought us a weekly shop before we get paid next week.

I also signed up to E:ON for my gas and electric because you get points when you use energy so I thought it made perfect sense to get Clubcard points for something that I had to use anyway.

My mum saves them up all year to uses them at Christmas to lessen the dint in the purse that is generally spent at that time of the year. I am definitely going to start that, but think it's probably a better idea to save them for Christmas when I'm the one putting on the Christmas Entertainment - until then, the last 6 months of the year will go on Christmas, and the first 6 months will go on treats or a weekly shop.

Yay for Tesco! Free money!

The same system applies to Boots Advantage Cards and Nectar Points. I don't have a Nectar Card so not 100% sure what the deal is with that one, but my Advantage Card often buys me a spot of lunch, or some hair dye. I'm not patient enough to save it up to buy a bottle of Channel!

So! The menu for this week is as follows:

Homemade Tortilla Pizza's with Sweet Potato Chips
Lemon Roasted Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Red Pepper
Chicken Fried Rice
Sausage & Potato Bake with a Green Salad
Courgette Carbonara
Chicken Korma with Jasmine Rice

All bought for a whopping... wait for it... 8p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...